"From the deep oceans a long lost civilization appears! Their extreme isolation has given them special aquatic abilities that are unknown to the other more human tribes.
Aquarion have a slightly different tech tree and have access to the unique amphibious turtle units that no other tribe can train."- Tribe description
The Aquarion tribe is the first special tribe and the 11th tribe overall to be added to Polytopia. Aquarion does not have any starting technology. Instead, Aquarion has three tribe-specific units: the Amphibian, the Tridention, and the Crab, which replace the Rider, Knight and Giant, respectively.
Aquarion is often considered to be one of the weakest tribes in the game. Aquarion's main strength is its Tridentions, powerful ranged units with fast movement and a strong attack that are nearly unstoppable in groups. However, it takes Aquarion a long time to amass enough stars to research Spearing, the technology required to train Tridentions. This is because Aquarion has few and varied resources, Spearing is on a different branch from resource technologies, and Aquarion cannot upgrade its capital until at least turn 2. The investment in Spearing leaves Aquarion economically weak and vulnerable until it amasses Tridentions. Aquarion’s weakness is exacerbated by the fact that it has no starting technology and early-game exploration with Warriors may be hindered by fragmented landmasses. Also, Amphibians can only move one tile at a time on land (without Roads), greatly hindering their utility on land; in particular, it limits the utility of their escape skill.
Aquarion has -Forest and +Water. (30% of Aquarion's tiles are replaced with water.)
- Fruit: Tunico (sea cucumbers)
- Land: Continental shelf resembling shallow water tiles in colour that is slightly lower than the land of other tribes h j
- Forests: Kelp forest
- Animals: Turmelon (Sea turtle)
- Mountains: Pink boulders
- Cities: Gray stone pillars with pink or gold roofs and ornaments
- Helmet: Silver-gray helmet with pink plumes and fish gills
- Color: Salmon
- 2020 Aquarion Day: The Aquarion empire is vigilantly defended by the mighty behemoths, the Crabs. It was a pact long ago that brought the Crabs and the Aquarion together, and this pact will remain until peace is brought to the Square once again.
- Web Shop: When the Turmelons are not helping Aquarion warriors, they like to spend their time in the mysterious depths of the ocean, swimming about in the palace of the lost city.
- Web Shop: Aquarion warriors always... drink a mixture of salt water and octopus blood before going to battle.
- Steam: Having risen from the depths of the ocean to fight in Square-wide struggle, the water-breathing, fish-like Aquarion have summoned their aquatic allies to take dominion over their land-dwelling kin.
- Instagram: THEY CAME FROM THE DEEP – eons at peace with turtle and crab – raged by stirring ships above. AQUARION RISE – defend the deep!
Special Technologies and Units
- Riding allows the player to train Amphibians instead of Riders and unlocks movement in shallow water. Amphibians have the Swim skill, which allows units with that skill to move in water but restricts their movement on land to one tile (without Roads).
- Free Spirit is renamed "Free Diving" and unlocks movement in Ocean tiles for all units, including naval units, even if Navigation has not been researched. (Both Free Diving and Navigation allow movement in ocean for units with the swim skill.)
- Chivalry is renamed "Spearing" and unlocks the Tridention instead of the Knight.
- In the ambience that plays throughout Aquarion lands, the sound of the sea and calm music are heard.
- Aquarion Knights and Riders (obtained by mind-bending enemy units) ride slightly larger Turmelons (turtles) than Tridentions and Amphibians.
- Aquarion’s special units formerly did not receive a defence bonus in cities. However, in the update that introduced the Fortify skill, which allows units to recieve a defence bonus in cities, Amphibians and Tridentions received that skill. (The Crab, like other super units, does not have the Fortify skill.)
- During part of the beta testing period, Aquarion started with the Aquatism technology.
- Aquarion was the first (and so far only) special tribe to have its own Tribe Day.
|Regular Tribes: Xin-Xi, Imperius, Bardur, Oumaji, Kickoo, Hoodrick, Luxidoor, Vengir, Zebasi, Ai-Mo, Quetzali, Yădakk|