The Crab is the super unit of the Aquarion tribe. It has similar stats to the Giant, but it can also freely travel between land and water. However, the Riding or Sailing technology needs to be researched for the Crab to travel in water, and Free Diving or Navigation needs to be researched for travel in ocean.
The Crab has a strong attack and defence, even while in water. On land, it is more mobile than the Giant because the Crab can move after attacking. However, in water, the Crab retains its movement of one, which makes it slower than other naval units, and it remains a melee unit, which prevents it from retaliating against ranged attacks. It is especially vulnerable against the Battleship.
- Escape: The Crab can move after attacking (assuming it isn't killed by the target's retaliation attack).
- Float: The Crab can move on water tiles. If the Free Diving (Navigation for every tribe that isn't Aquarion) technology is unlocked, it can also move on ocean tiles.
Strengths and weaknesses
Crabs are good for:
- Sieging cities. A Crab has 4 defence and 40 health, the same as a Giant. This makes it as effective to siege cities, with the amount of health and the defence making it hard to kill the sieging crab, and the 4 defence usually killing, or at least deal a significant amount of damage, to any unit that is trying to break the siege.
- Ending a siege. Upgrading a city to level 5+ can pop a Crab that will take the place of the sieging unit, and due to its high defence and health, it will be difficult to kill the Crab to siege again.
- Clearing out tanks. The Crab has a lot of attack and defence, and can easily outclass any other melee units. As such, they can be used successfully to clear out the defenders tanking for the squishier units and let Knights through the gaps to take those out.
Crabs aren't good for:
- Fighting on water. This may seem counter-intuitive since the unique ability of the Crab compared to the Giant is that it can move on water, but the Crab doesn't have dash, has only 1 movement and 1 range. Therefore, it can't reach boats and can be killed by these 1-attack units after a lot of hits without being able to do anything. Against battleships, it's even worse: in 5 hits, even if the Crab has a defence bonus, the Crab is dead and hasn't damaged the Battleships. A Giant is much better in this situation: despite costing 20 extra stars, a giant battleship has only 1 less defence than a Giant for the same attack, +1 range, +2 movement and dash, which is much better.
- Fighting large quantities of strong units. Large amounts of Swordsmen and Knights can easily overwhelm a Crab. Mind Benders are a huge threat as well as they will force the giant to keep retreating until it's forced to be disbanded if there are enough mind benders there.
- Chasing ranged units. Although the Crab has high attack and defence, it fails to defend itself from ranged units. Archers can continuously back up and fire while catapults' attack is so high that the Crab will be severely weakened before it get reached.
- The crab attacks with a sword, like the Giant.