Vengir starts with a Swordsman.
Ruins may give a veteran Swordsman as a reward.
Strategies for Swordsmen:
- City sieging. Swordsmen possess the attack needed to shave off the last 5 health of that pesky Warrior in the city walls, then possess the defence needed to survive the counterattack.
- Army leading. Swordsmen are easily replaced and durable, making large quantities of them easy to obtain.
Strategies against Swordsmen:
- Giants. Swordsmen can't take these out so quickly. However, giants are not to be used when there are 3+ swordsmen nearby, or they will overpower it easily.
- Catapults. They can two-hit Swordsmen, while staying out of range of other Swordsmen.
- Ships. If possible, pummeling a Swordsman from offshore has similar effects to a Catapult.
- Defenders in city walls. These are extremely tough to bring down, requiring the assistance of numerous other units.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Melee fights. In a 1v1 situation, the Swordsman rules, second only to the Giant. They can take huge chunks of health off Giants, Crabs, Warriors, and other Swordsmen, and can instantly kill non-veteran Riders, Archers, and Catapults.
- Front lines. Swordsmen are good at killing those in front. They are also decent at retaliation whenever attacked. These make them viable units for your front lines, advancing in front of a wave of ranged units. Note that Defenders are cheaper and have the same defence, but are much less capable of attacking and don't have dash.
- Knight defence. Swordsmen are also surprisingly effective against knights. Since knights can't retreat after their initial assault, a group of swordsmen can easily beat a group of low-defence knights.
- Killing offshore units. If he can't reach them, he can't do anything.
- Killing Catapults. The Swordsman can only move one (two using roads) tile at a time. This leaves them unable to advance through the range of a Catapult in one turn, which leaves the Swordsman as an easy target.
- Breaching Defender Walls. To be fair, virtually every melee unit is weak against Defenders, due to their high retaliation damage.